If you would like to add a few select pieces of antique furniture to your home, you certainly wouldn’t be alone, as mixing the old with the new has become a major trend, and with that in mind, here are some antique furniture items that are also good investments.
- Writing Desks – There are many styles and periods to choose from, and if you have a modern study, a walnut or cherry writing desk can be combined with that state-of-the-art office chair, with a nice antique desk lamp to add that finishing touch. Those who try to buy and sell antiques online will have access to many fine writing desks, and if you are looking for something very specific, an online antique dealer can help to source the right item.
- Antique Bookcases – Very functional and appealing, something like a Victorian library bookcase, which is a full-length piece with shelves on top and a set of drawers underneath. Bookcases are always in demand, and for a piece in good condition, you can expect to pay top prices. If you acquire such an item for your living room or study, and treat it with care, a decade later you could expect to see a healthy return.
- Grandfather Clocks – There were only a certain number of these amazing timepieces made, and as time goes by and more people are attracted to old quality furniture, the grandfather clock will always be sought after. Of course, this is a high maintenance item, and one that requires regular cleaning and maintenance, but if you are prepared to maintain the clock, it makes for a great investment. Prices range from £1,400 – £10,000+, yet a fine grandfather clock truly is a work of art, and there’s nothing better to put in that expanse of bare wall than an antique grandfather clock. If you do acquire a grandfather clock, there are guides you can find online on how to wind the timepiece correctly.
- The Military Chest – Sturdy and very functional, the military chest was designed for the officer in the field of battle, with tiny drawers and compartments in many locations. A 19th century military chest will be a solid investment, and providing you take care of it, the piece not only brings you many years of pleasure, you will see the value rise significantly.
- Chest Of Drawers – Mahogany, Teak & Walnut are all represented in the European period chest of drawers, and the market is very healthy. Ask any online antique dealer and they’ll confirm that the chest of drawers is one of the most popular items requested, and, of course, they are extremely useful.
Buying antique furniture as an investment is a popular way to adorn the home with stunning furniture that appreciates in value over time, and if you forge an alliance with a reputable online antique dealer, he can source specific items on your behalf, and you know you are getting authentic antiques at a fair price.